Hey there, thanks for wanting to know more about me (or possibly clicking this link by accident)! I’d give you a high five/handshake in person, but for now I’ll settle for a virtual one.
Here are just 10 quick things about me:
1) My name is Janella. I go by many nicknames because clearly it’s the most difficult name you’ve ever seen. I’m not kidding—a lot of my receipts from restaurants and take-out orders completely butcher my name for the fun of it, it seems. As a result, I have a lot of nicknames. A lot of my family calls me Johnny, my sister calls me Nellers, my CPs occasionally call me Juju. If you think of a nickname, I’ll gladly add it to the ever-growing list.
2) Growing up, I used to think I was either a ballerina or an Egyptian princess in a past life. Sadly, I am actually neither.
3) I’m left-handed and proud of it! I also hold my pen in a weird sort of clutch when I write, and was told by an elementary school teacher that I’d never get into college because I held the pencil incorrectly. I know, what a monster.
4) Speaking of college, I graduated summa cum laude from Emerson College with a degree in Writing, Literature, and Publishing. Take that, elementary school teacher.
5) I’m a Filipino-American who unfortunately can’t speak a word of Tagalog (only a few), but would eat halo-halo forever if she could. Along with lumpia and menudo. In typical Filipino upbringing, I was raised with a fondness for food and karaoke.
6) My favorite Disney princess and movie of all time is Pocahontas. People think I’m joking, but I’m really not.
7) I love all kinds of music—classical, Top 40s, musicals, EDM, movie scores, etc. I definitely inherited my love of music from my father, who sang and played guitar back in the day and made sure to force all of his children to pick up an instrument. Mine is piano. I also Disney to the max (i.e. spontaneously burst out into song).
8) My favorite color is red. I’m so obsessed with it, I created a Pinterest board dedicated to the color and find it soothing to look at. Don’t judge me.
9) I love all things Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling and her series were what got me ridiculously obsessed with reading, writing gloriously terrible fanfiction, and wanting to pursue writing throughout my life. I’m not exaggerating/being cutesy when I say reading Harry Potter was absolute magic to me—it still is, and I’ll never forget how much it helped me grow as a reader, writer, and person. If I ever met J.K. Rowling, I think I’d just sob all over the place because of how inspirational she and her characters have been to me.
10) I was one of those kids who always knew what she wanted to do in life, and I’ve always wanted a future with books. I love the publishing industry and learning more about it each step of the way, and I love writing and falling into worlds with characters I hope to one day share with everyone.
You can find me on: